Friday, October 26, 2012

Small Task Journal - 10/26/12

On the bright side of being laid off, I now have plenty of time to devote to working on the home renovations! That's it Matt - keep looking on the bright side! I kid, I kid (weeps softly).

Anyway, on the serious side of things, the living room is nearing functional completion! Over the course of the week, the floor has been sanded and stained. It's a little darker than I originally wanted but once the final coat of polyurethane is on, I think it will grow on me.

Speaking of polyurethane, the second coat is drying as I type this. In order to do the floor proper, I had to rent a square buffer/sander from Home Depot (they are making bank off me...) to scuff up the floor between coats.

After the first coat had dried, I hit the floor with the buffer. And that's when I got a little worried. The richness of the stain seemed to vanish. I knew this was going to happen and that the next coat of poly would bring back the color but it still worried me in the time between buffing and applying the poly.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be hitting the floor with another pass of the buffer and then applying the third and final coat. I'll have to be motivated earlier in the morning than I usually am on Saturday mornings so that I can be done with the buffer and return it as soon as possible (perhaps convince Jay to get started on the third coat while I am driving the buffer back).

Once the floor is done, I have to install three lights (2 wall scones and the track light) and cut and paint the quarter-round for over the heater (I'll need to buy some more, I don't have enough). I'm also going to try to get CAT5 and COAX wires run in the basement to support the new location of the router and the cable box. If all goes well, I should be able to move everything into the living room Sunday morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment