Saturday, March 2, 2013

Oh Yeah - I did something recently!

This is going to be a quick post because what I did accomplish wasn't some huge feat of home improvement - but it was a small step towards things feeling to some degree done.

I recently wrapped up the work I was doing in the hallway closet on the second floor. Originally, this closet with a tiny thing that was lucky to hold the linens and towels it had in it. While working on the second floor bathroom, the decision was made to remove the closet from the adjacent bedroom and make one for the bathroom. This also meant that I could make the hallway closet a bit deeper as well.

After some slow starts, I did complete the hallway closet to the extent that I am happy with it. Well... not entirely happy... the back wall of it isn't square (off by 3/8s of an inch) but it is dry walled, painted, has flooring (which I recycled from the flooring of the old bedroom closet) and has shelving in it for linen and other storage such as the vacuum cleaner.

If the end results was more interesting to look at I'd have pictures to post but it is a small primer-painted closet, not really an exciting photo subject.

Next I hope to get some work done on the closet in the bathroom. To start, I'll need to remove the interior door casing so that I can get at some of the dry wall I need to replace. After that, I am going to work a bit on the framing of the bathroom closet itself so that there is some symmetry between the sides. Then it is more joint compound, painting and finishing.

Neither of these projects are particularly exciting but with my current state of employment, they are nice and easy projects I can do with the materials I have handy around the house or with minimal expense that will help put me in a position to move forward on to bigger projects more easily (such as the update on the bathroom).